David Hawkes took his B.A. at Oxford University, and his M.A., M.Phil. and Ph.D. at Columbia University. He is the author of many books: Idols of the Marketplace: Idolatry and Commodity Fetishism in English Literature, 1580-1680 (Palgrave), Ideology (Routledge), The Faust Myth: Religion and the Rise of Representation (Palgrave), John Milton: A Hero of Our Time (Counterpoint) and The Culture of Usury in Renaissance England (Palgrave).
Hawkes is a Professor of English at Arizona State University, Tempe, Arizona
David Hawkes Top 5 Articles
• David Hawkes, 'How Noam Chomsky's World Works,' Times Literary Supplement, 8/29/12, pp.3-5 (Link)
• David Hawkes, 'The Evolution of Darwinism,' The Nation, 6/10/2002, pp.29-34 (Link)
• David Hawkes, ‘Milton and Usury,’ English Literary Renaissance 41:3, Autumn 2011, pp. 503-528
• David Hawkes, 'Fiction Sets You Free,' Times Literary Supplement, 10/24/2008, pp.24-5
• David Hawkes, ‘Faust among the Witches: Towards an Ethics of Representation,’ Early Modern Culture 4, 2004
DavidHawkes.net Copyright © 2013 David Hawkes. All Rights Reserved.